Cy-Hope has created "Hope Centers" in communities feeding into Title I schools where kids can come for homework help, life skills classes, crafts, recreation and other special events. Our first three Hope Centers are located in the Longhorn Trailer Park, Windfern Trails Apartments, and Pointe at Steeplechase Apartments. Read more about our mobile hope center, as featured in the Houston Chronicle.
Interested in helping our Hope Center program? If you're interested in volunteering at a Hope Center, check out the information below. If you're interested in making a donation, click here for the Hope Center's wish list; donations can be dropped off at our headquarters (12715 Telge Road, Cypress).
Title: Hope Center Volunteer
Opportunity: The Hope Center volunteer has an amazing opportunity to impact the lives of young kids. The volunteer will achieve this by developing a relationship with kids at the Hope Center. Volunteers should help the Hope Center interns and other volunteers with educational time, crafts, snack, games and recreational activities. They will encourage the kids to complete their homework and participate in educational activities. Their main purpose is to serve as a positive role model for the kids at the Hope Center.
- Help kids complete their homework or their educational work
- Read out loud to kids and listen to kids read
- Teach kids valuable life skills through certain activities
- Serve as a positive role model through actions and lessons
- Encourage kids to always do their best and make the right decisions
- Minimum commitments of at least twice a month
- Minimum period of six months
- At least one hour each visit
Schedule during the school year:
Monday and/or Wednesday at Longhorn Hope Center 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday and/or Thursday at Pointe Hope Center 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday at Windfern Hope Center 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Schedule during the summer:
Monday through Thursday at Longhorn, Windfern, and/or Pointe Hope Center from 4:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Can serve at one, two or all three Hope Centers (Windfern, Longhorn, Pointe) (please let Director know if you have a preference).
Appropriate casual and comfy
- Completion of Safe Sanctuary (click here to complete) and background check (18 years or older)
- Volunteer application (click here to complete)
- Must be at least 16 years old, unless coming with a parent
- Enthusiastic and enjoys working with kids of all ages
- Must be patient and affirming
- Adaptable to unforeseen situations
- Team player
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required
Resources for you (as the volunteer):
- Opportunity to voice concerns or advice
- Support and assistance in all areas of responsibilities
- Feedback and suggestions welcome (email Cy-Hope Director, email@example.com)